knitster79

Random Utterances, Rabbit Trails, and Reminiscences . . . basically, things that begin with "R"

Wednesday, October 31

what was that in my pantry?

It was a few months ago and I was getting ready to make one of my super delicious Key Lime pies. They only have about 5 ingredients and Eagle Brand Milk (sweetened condensed milk) is one of them. We only had 1 can in the pantry and I pulled it out and told mom it was the last can and she said "We're finally going to use the last can?". It was shocking. We had had so many in there at one point it was ridiculous. So I opened up the can and the "milk" didn't act like it should. It was sluggish and very thick. It was also slightly darker than it's supposed to be. I showed mom and she said it was fine but I was dubious about it. I showed dad and he said he didn't think so and got a dab on his finger for a taste and declared it "no good". I got a taste too and agreed. Eagle Brand is supposed to be very light in color and very thin, almost like regular milk. This stuff looked like wood glue. I probably should have noted the thin layer of dust on all over the top but I was in baking mode.

I was not happy at the thought of having to stop everything mid-pie and go to the store, but the pie had to be made. So I left mom babysitting the pie shell and to the store I went. (We did note afterwards that the expiration date on the can was from 2005.) This is proof that Eagle Brand Milk can and does go bad.

The moral of the story is: If you're getting ready to cook something with ingredients you haven't used in a while, check and make sure they're still good or else you'll end up going to store right smack in the middle of the process which is a pain in the hieney.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home