knitster79

Random Utterances, Rabbit Trails, and Reminiscences . . . basically, things that begin with "R"

Monday, October 29

more hats

I still have the gigantic stash of yarn and have decided that I really need to get rid of it. I have 4 of the picnic size ziploc bags full of yarn but unfortunately it is mostly 1 skein of color. When I had first started knitting, I went on a spree that turnd more into some kind of yarn orgy. I really can't make an actual project with just one skein and I'm afraid that many of these yarns are from discontinued die-lots. So I can just dive in and make small items. I have decided the best way I'm going to eliminate the excess is to make lots and lots of hats. They're fun and easy and I can just give them away.

My favorite hat pattern for the present is the cabled beanie from the Stitch Cafe (http://www.stitchcafe.com/freepatterns.html). I have had to adjust the pattern as it calls for chunky yarn and I don't have any of that. I have been knitting with size 8dpns and I added the cable pattern one more time for a cast on of 77. It makes a perfect fit for me. I also adjusted the length to 6.5" before beginning the decrease and I like that a lot better. I should add that the pattern, as written with 4 ply acrylic yarn of your choice makes a good hat for a toddler.

I have made 4 hats within the past 4 weeks. I made a purple hat for my daughter (picture to come later) and I make a hat for me with variegated yarn in shades of pink/red.


I also made an olive green hat for my friend David who flew in from AZ to visit with us at our 10 yr HS reunion. And last night I just finished a striped hat in cream, brown, blue, and green. I saw my sister coveting it so I might let her have it. It was only my 3rd experience with striping. I have to admit that I hate weaving all those ends in. It was very tedious but a very nice effect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home